This spring, we started a new series on How to Do the Pot that shares women’s stories about the first time they bought legal weed. We’ve heard from women all across America, who talk honestly about feeling intimidated, overwhelmed, curious, and yet SO EXCITED to walk freely into a cannabis dispensary and start shopping. If you haven’t tried it yet, these are not the smoke shops of your college days. Covid has accelerated and improved the retail experience, and you’re more likely to run into a curated, thoughtful space than a dark, smoky room.
For those of you who are curious about me, this week’s episode is my “first time” story and has some behind the scenes about what inspired the series. I hope the diverse women telling their stories feel like a team of friends in your corner, whenever you’re ready to shop for your own stash. ❤️ Ellen
HOW TO PREP FOR RETAIL THERAPY
1. Where is cannabis legal? Just in 2020-21, cannabis became legal in seven states: Arizona, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, South Dakota and Virginia. Check out this map, which shows the nineteen states that allow adult-use and the thirty-six states with medical cannabis.
2. What is different about adult-use vs. medical cannabis? Adult-use, also called recreational use, means that anyone over 21 with a valid ID can walk into a dispensary or order cannabis from a delivery service. Medical cannabis is different and depends on where you live. In every medical state, you’ll need a doctor to validate your condition, and the list of valid conditions varies by state. Most states have a medical marijuana section on their website with all the FAQs.
3. What do I bring with me? Whether you’re in an adult-use or a medical state, you have to show a valid ID. Dispensaries accept cash or ATM cards, and most have ATMs on site. Since cannabis is federally illegal, it is challenging for these businesses to get a credit card processor. It’s worth checking out an online menu before your visit so you don’t feel overwhelmed or disappointed by the selection at the dispensary.
4. What should I buy? Choosing products based on words like sativa, indica & hybrid may not be the best way to get what you want. Instead, ask yourself how you want to feel – pain-free & mellow, energized & uplifted, or ready for bed. Have you heard the saying “your nose knows”? Smell the weed if you can, and pay attention to what appeals to you. Remember, retail budtenders can answer your questions about popular strains, microdosing, and women-owned brands, but they can’t give medical advice.
5. Share your story with us! We’ve heard from so many women who love these 1st time stories and feel more confident knowing what to expect on their shopping trip. Help a sister out! Send us a voice memo with your 3-5 minute story to email@example.com. We can’t wait to hear from you.